The UCSF ViraCore and the McManus Lab at University of California San Francisco is seeking a Junior/Assistant Lab Specialist, depending on qualifications. A major focus of the position will be to assist in the development and the derivation of large-scale genomic resources within the UCSF ViraCore. The candidate will engage in wetbench research in a team setting and independently oversee a University Core facility. Candidate must be willing to work as an integral member of a research team and have strong communication skills. This is a full-time position at UCSF and ideal position for applicants having a sincere fascination with basic science and the interface between industry and academia.
- Perform molecular biology techniques including DNA extraction, PCR, plasmid preparation and basic cloning.
- Tissue culture and flow cytometry.
- Perform basic molecular and cellular biology experiments.
- Maintenance of accurate notebooks and computer records.
- Oversee lentivirus production.
- Managerial duties related to customer service and possibly personnel oversight.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Candidates must have a BA/BS in biological sciences or a related science by the time of hire, or at least 4 years of related work experience
- Knowledge of and experience with basic cell and molecular biology protocols: tissue culture, PCR, DNA sequence analysis and cloning; comfort working with instrumentation and computers; maintenance of accurate notebooks and computer files; team player with good communication and interpersonal skills; willingness to learn, seek out advice and admit errors; highly motivated to succeed.
- Strong organization skills and the ability to multitask and work under minimal supervision is key for this position.
- Lentiviral and/or retroviral generation and transduction experience.
- Experience carrying out flow cytometry assays.
- Analytical skills and comfort with basic statistics a plus.
- Knowledge of and experience with basic molecular biology protocols.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Equal Employment Opportunity: The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.